Asia Democracy Network
Position: Advocacy Director
Location: Bangkok, Thailand or any country in Asia
Consultancy Condition: Part-time (average 3 days per week)
Consultancy Duration: 11 months (August 2016 – June 2017) (Extension possible based on funding) Subject to a 2-month probation at the beginning of contract
Compensation: 2,500 USD per month (As it is a consultancy contract, there is no entitlement to benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, retirement, or unemployment insurance.)
Day of Announcement : 4 July 2016
Deadline for Submission : 14 July 2016
Days of Interview : 18 to 20 July 2016
About the Organization
ADN is a civil society led multi-stakeholders’ platform dedicated to the strengthening of democracy and civil society. The ADN was launched in October 2013 to strengthen solidarity and a collective voice of Asian civil society engaged in democracy, human rights and development at the different levels of global, regional, national and local. The primary aim of ADN is to build a stronger regional democracy network and movement engaged effectively with governments, inter-governmental organizations and other stakeholders in Asia and beyond. ADN’s thematic issues range from election, transparency, human rights, press freedom, development to peace. We work closely with regional and sub-regional partners and their member organizations to reach stakeholders in various countries in Asia. ADN strives to enable civil societies in Asia to be vibrant and independent by amplifying advocacy and setting agenda.
Duties and Responsibilities
ADN’s Advocacy Director provides support for and facilitates communication and cooperation among member and partner organizations in Asia regionally on democracy relations and issues. Importantly, the Advocacy Director conducts and coordinates thematic and country advocacy campaigns at the regional level in cooperation with other related programs implemented by the Secretariat.
The Advocacy Director will report directly to the Secretary-General and is responsible for developing strategy and programs as well as implement overall ADN campaigns to respond to democracy challenges in the Asia region.
The Advocacy Director shall:
- Be responsible for the development and writing of funding proposals related to campaign initiatives.
2.Be responsible for the overall management of the advocacy strategies and campaigns of the ADN.
- Be responsible for the advocacy program management: Planning, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Be in charge of the implementation and coordination of the program and project(s) under his/her responsibility.
- Be responsible for the management of staff on the team.
- Monitor regularly and respond to democracy and human rights initiatives and issues within Asia.
- Maintain close communication with ADN members and partner organizations.
- Organize forums, training, meetings, press conferences in cooperation with other programs and partners.
- Maintain close contacts and engagement with multi-stakeholders that advocate democracy in the region.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in the field related to human rights and democracy such as law, politics, social science, international relations, development, Asian studies or other related subjects.
- Mature personality, ability to lead a team and work in a multi-cultural and demanding work environment with cross-program coordination.
- Excellent leadership and program/project management skills.
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, strategic thinking, and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage team deadlines.
- Minimum of ten years works experience in program management and advocacy in the field of human rights and democracy including a regional NGO in Asia.
- In-depth understanding of the overall socio-political situation as well as democracy situation in Asia.
- Good knowledge of Asian region in terms of its context, operation, contributions and limitations on democracy and human rights discourse.
- Good communication and public presentation skills in English a must.
- Excellent project proposal writing ability for fund-raising
- Excellent report writing ability in organizational strategizing and planning.
- Good advocacy and lobby skills with various stakeholders (government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media, etc.)
- Excellent analytical and synthesis skills.
- Good skills in Word, Excel, Power-Point, and The Internet.
- Excellent research skills.
Those interested in applying for the Advocacy Director position at the Asia Democracy Network Secretariat please send in your resume and a cover letter indicating your reason of interest and background before the deadline – 14 July 2016 (Seoul Time) The interview (online) will be conducted for short listed candidates from 18 to 20 July 2016.
Send to: email@example.com
Download the announcement:
ADN Advocacy Director Job Announcement (deadline 14 July 2016)