Cambodia: ADN Condemns the Killing of Kem Ley and Demands for Independent and Transparent Investigation
Photo: Phnom Penh Post – Heng Chivoan
Photo: Khmer Times – Chor Sokunthea
July 12, Seoul – The Asia Democracy Network (ADN) strongly condemns the killing of prominent independent political analyst Kem Ley on July 10 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. A critic of Prime Minister Hun Sen, Kem Ley was shot dead at a coffee shop he frequented. The perpetrator was arrested at the scene and has since reportedly confessed to the murder, claiming that he had a quarrel with Kem Ley over an unpaid debt of $3,000.
The ADN calls for an independent and transparent investigation into this outrageous cold-blooded murder of Kem Ley. Independent experts must conduct the investigation given that Kem Ley was a vocal critic of Prime Minister Hun Sen, and the results of the investigation be made public. Anything less will only fuel further public distrust the Cambodian government and confirm the view the murder of Kem Ley was politically motivated.
Cambodia will be preparing for the commune election in 2017 and the national election in 2018. Kem Ley has been a long time advocate for a new era of clean politics in Cambodia and has been critical of both the opposition and government. He was also the founder of the Grassroots Democracy Party.
We affirm that the sacrifice of our fellow activist will not go in vain as the ADN, along with its partners, will ensure truth and justice for Kem Ley and genuine democracy for Cambodia.
Asia Democracy Steering Committee
- Asia Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA)
- Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL)
- Asia Development Alliance (ADA)
- Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC) Asia
- Migrant Forum in Asia (MFA)
- International NGO Forum on Indonesian Development (INFID)
- Participatory Research in Asia (PRIA) / Asia Democracy Research Network (ADRN)
- People’s SAARC (PSAARC)
- Southeast Asia Committee for Advocacy (SEACA) / Solidarity for ASEAN People’s Advocacy (SAPA)
- Mongolia Democracy Network (MDN)
ADN Statement Condemns Murder of Kem Ley (PDF Download)